Technical Group and Technical Panels
A Technical Panel (TP) addresses select aspects of interoperability of geospatial information and services. TPs operate under the Technical Group (TG) within DGIWG, which is lead by the Technical Group Chair (C-TG). There are five TPs which have been established to address specific program areas. These include: NATO Geospatial Information Framework (NGIF), Imagery, Metadata, Portrayal, and Web Services. A TP may have one or more active projects at any given time.
- Focus on the customer need, as stated in the requirement;
- examine any relevant existing standards and components for re-use, and adopt or profile wherever possible;
- consider lessons learned from recent operations, exercises and experimentation (such as The Coalition Warrior Interoperability eXploration, eXperimentation and eXamination, eXercise (CWIX)) throughout the geospatial information community;
- assess the need to revise standards, especially those which are profiles of standards (e.g. ISO);
- ensure standards conform to select measures of compliance;
- define standards required for successful NATO, Coalition, and allied operations, and promote accordingly;
- encourage participation of Associates as permitted by DGIWG policy and procedures;
- assess and pursue liaison requirements with other organizations and activities.