The DGIWG will work to improve the discovery, evaluation, use and management of geospatial information and services within and among NATO, NATO Nations, and non-NATO nations through the development of common metadata standards. While the standardization of the form and meaning of metadata is critical for the efficiency in retrieving relevant and accurate information, the diversity of geospatial information and user requirements needs to be addressed. Work includes:
- Coordinate and influence the civilian standardization work on metadata to ensure that military needs are met
- Coordinate and support DGIWG projects regarding metadata
- Support military activities and address military requirements with respect to metadata
- Provide guidelines and best practices related to metadata
- Provide and maintain a metadata vision promoting a standards-based approach and defining a framework to further analyse the need for military specific standards and specifications.